Deciding to have a breast augmentation is no small matter. When women in Wichita seek out Dr. Voge of Plastic Surgical Specialists for an initial consultation, they quickly realize the care and concern she has for each of her patients. And it doesn’t stop there. Dr. Voge wants to make sure you get your ideal results, and following a few breast augmentation recovery “dos” and “don’ts” will help ensure you see the changes you desire and avoid post-surgical complications.
Breast Augmentation Recovery “Dos”
- Take it easy. Any time you have surgery your whole body is affected, not just the surgical site. This goes for a breast augmentation as well. Dr. Voge requires her patients to take at least a long weekend off work while they recover. Your daily routines should be avoided, too. Find friends or family in the Wichita area to help with childcare, cleaning, and meal prep as you won’t be able to lift your small children, perform housework, or make extensive meals for your family during your recovery. You need to rest in every way. Ignoring this important recovery instruction could leave you with uncomfortable post-operative complications.
- Sleep on your back. You may not be excited about this breast augmentation recovery “do,” but you’re going to want to listen carefully. If you normally sleep on your stomach, adjusting your sleeping position may not be easy, but your breasts will thank you. As you’re recovering from a breast augmentation, sleep on your side or on your back with pillows to prop you up. If you’re completely uncomfortable in these positions, you may find that sleeping in a recliner is the best option
- Stay on top of your pain. When Dr. Voge prescribes pain medicine for you during recovery, it should not be seen as a mere suggestion. Taking your pain medication as prescribed will help you stay on top of your pain and make your recovery a better experience. Even if you have to wake up in the middle of the night to take your next dose, do it! A few minutes of lost sleep will be worth it.
Breast Augmentation Recovery “Don’ts”
- Don’t Smoke. Not only is smoking bad for your overall health, it is especially dangerous when you’re preparing for surgery. Smoking restricts blood vessels and slows down the healing process. It is important that you be a non-smoker or quit smoking at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery.
- Don’t wear underwire bras. After your breast augmentation at Dr. Voge’s Wichita clinic you will wake up in the recovery room wearing a bra. Follow her specific guidelines for how long you should keep the bra on. Once you’re cleared to wear a different form of support, you will be given instructions for this as well. Be mindful of those instructions and do not wear an underwire bra for at least 4 to 6 weeks. Wearing underwire bras too soon can hinder the healing process and irritate the incision site.
- Don’t do strenuous exercise too soon. Dr. Voge will provide you with detailed post-operative instructions on when and what you can do regarding exercise. Light exercise, such as taking a morning stroll around your Wichita area neighborhood, can be resumed relatively quickly. But any exercise you would feel more comfortable doing in a sports bra should be avoided for about 6 weeks after your breast augmentation.
Call Today To Learn More About Breast Augmentation
If you’re ready to talk about the breast augmentation procedure with Dr. Voge of Plastic Surgical Specialists, schedule an initial consultation today. When you meet with Dr. Voge, you will learn more about the procedure and recovery process. She will also answer any questions you many have.
Call Plastic Surgical Specialists at their Wichita location today at (316) 263-0234.